To avoid clutter at home and conserve space, building a bookcase is one smart way. Following are easy steps:
1. Cut all the timber pieces to corresponding length in square shape.
Components Quantity Size
Sides 2 240mm x 19mm x 2000mm
Base, top and Shelves 7 240mm x 19mm x 862mm
Back 1 900mm x 19mm x 2000mm
2. Mark out your chosen shelf spacing. Lay down the two panels side by side and pre-drill two screw holes on both side panels for each shelf at your desired height.
3. Starting with the base shelf, glue and then drill 2 screws into each side with an electric drill. Always ensure that the shelves are square and level with the sides. Continue to attach the shelves working your way to the top. Once you have reached the top, fully tighten all shelves so you can easily fit the last shelf.
We’re almost halfway through our D.I.Y update – if this feels like too much work to do on your own, remember, John and his team of professionals at Sydney Handyman Hire are here to help you with all your handyman needs, just call us on 0418 901 366 and we’ll get the job done!
4. You can now attach the back panel when all the shelves are firmly connected to the side panels. Lay the unit face down, then glue and nail the back in place, on the sides, bottom, top and each shelf. Allow the bookshelf to dry.
5. Trim off any overhanging timber with a saw or plane for a smooth finish. Sand all the edges of the bookcase then apply your choice of timber finish. You may opt to paint the bookcase to match the theme of the room where it will be placed.
As always, should you need further advice, information or guidance contact John from Sydney Handyman Hire on 0418 901 366, we’ll be glad to help. Thanks for taking this time to read another handy update from Sydney Handyman Hire, have a great day!